2009/04/26

existentialism

I wasn't there on the day that we discussed existentialism, so forgive me if what I say makes no sense pertaining to what you all discussed in class. What I do know, though, is that when I returned to class it was explained to me that existentialists justified their existence and how we ultimately have no control over our fate (we are all going to die) by claiming that as long as we we make our own conscious decision of how we are going to feel about something, we are free. The case of Sysiphus was brought up, and how, even though he has to continually push a rock up a hill for his entire existence as punishment, he is free because he can decide how he wants to feel about pushing that rock. Danielle seems to agree with this notion. She talks about our ability to make conscious decisions allows us to be free. However, I cannot seem to buy this argument when looking at the case of Sysiphus. I can see how it might be nice to know that we can cheat fate and its control in some way, but I don't think we ultimately can cheat fate, if fate exists, which it does is some way because we all will die. I could never make myself be happy if I was in the same situation as Sysiphus. That situation is just too miserable, and I don't think anyone could convince themselves that it is anything else. I realize that this is scary. What is the point if we are destined to die and we can't control how we feel about that? I don't want to end with the idea that there is no hope for us because I believe that other than death, fate doesn't exist. I believe that we are able to control everything up until death, and the ride is what is worth living for.

No comments:

Post a Comment