2009/02/09

imperialism summary

As I have been reading some other people's blogs about imperialism, I am seeing a lot of outrage at what I also believe was not Europe's finest hour. David and Mia speak of the racism on the part of the Europeans and how their belief in their superiority fueled the desire to partake in imperialism. Declan suggests that Rhodes does not deserve to have such a well-respected scholarship to be under his name, to which Leigh agrees. All of this shows a certain level of outrage at what was happening. I actually do agree with all of the outrage and comments made by these people regarding imperialism, but I feel like we are too quick to judge the Europeans. I mean, sure, there were some individuals who performed some atrocious and unforgivable acts like much of what happened in the Congo and in South Africa in the Boer Wars, but for a second I would like us all to imagine what it would b like to have been a young business man in London at this time or even a poet like Kipling. You are seeing the immense wealth that is pouring into Western Europe, and more particularly England, because of imperialism. The world around you is flourishing. You are far removed from the actual places and thus understand very little about the people and the culture. It has been drilled into your brain that the Europeans are helping these people by civilizing them. Thus, you love imperialism and think people like Rhodes are the heroes of your time, which Leigh addressed. Were these people as morally decrepit as we like to think they were? I think the real problem is a lack of understanding. I like to see the best in everyone, and I really believe that had most Europeans understood what was happening and had first hand experiences, they would have been shocked and appalled, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment