2009/03/29

the lure of fascism

After reading Charlie's blog about fascism and all the consequent responses, such as Danielle's, I have to agree with them that fascism was not meant to give the people control, which is something Declan had trouble coming to terms with. However, this was why, I think, fascism was so appealing. Like Danielle discusses, the world was in shambles after World War I and before World War II, and no place felt more than Germany. It was easy, then, for people to turn to someone who seemed to offer them some sort of stability in a time when nothing was stable.

Think about your own lives for a second. Imagine this. You have just taken three very difficult tests and it isn't even lunch time yet. You are starving, as you forgot to eat breakfast in trying to cram in some last bit of study time before these important tests. You are planning to go off campus with your friends. Someone asks you where you want to go. You don't really care, as long as it means getting you fed and you don't have to think about it too much. For me, I would blindly follow someone who offered a solution or a place to eat. When I am that weary or that hungry, I just want the easy way out, and that is not to argue, but to go along with another's suggestion. That way, I don't have to think, and I will get what I really want,food, sooner. In this situation, I don't want to think anymore. I am too tired. I have thus given up my right to chose so as to reach a relative state of happiness sooner. I have to say, being an indecisive person, I am willing to give up my own desires more willing than not when in a large group. It scares me that if I was in post-war Germany, after having been through a tough war and experiencing serious economic trouble, I would be one of those people who would be happier at letting someone else decide for me if it means that I would eventually get food and stability. At that point, I rather not have to chose but have someone chose for me. When you are that exhausted, that option almost seems better. Not that I am advocating for fascism or anything. I am just saying that I can, on some level, understand why those people were willing to give up their individual rights. I don't think any of us an ever appreciate the whole extent of it, as we have never been through what Germany went through at this time, and I hope none of us ever will ever reach that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment